When planning your spring break and summer adventures, consider exploring more of Texas! From the Panhandle to the Gulf Coast, there is plenty to see and do. To show you some fun options, we have partnered with R We There Yet Mom? to feature family-friendly destinations across our great state. Today, we bring you Galveston, Texas!
Galveston Island is a historic beach town located on the Gulf of Mexico just 50 miles from Houston. Here are 5 FREE things families visiting Galveston can enjoy.
After Hurricane Ike, optimistic island residents worked with area sculptors to transform damaged oak trees into breathtaking tree sculptures that are now the focus of the Galveston Tree Sculptures Tour. The 30-plus sculptures are tucked into gardens and nestled in side yards throughout the island’s East End Historic District for the public to enjoy and find. A guide for your FREE self-guided tour can be found here.
Galveston’s Bolivar Ferry is well known across the Lone Star State. This FREE and roughly 20-minute ride each way between Port Bolivar and Galveston is an entertaining diversion from the beaches and historic districts that are the biggest Galveston tourist draw. During this voyage, you can also get a close look at graceful dolphins as they swim by.
The downtown area offers an intriguing selection of shops, restaurants, galleries and museums within a perfect radius for self-guided tours. The Victorian architecture of Strand Street, widely known as The Strand, makes for a charming stroll. Saegnerfest Park at 23rd and Strand is a FREE family park home to a life-size chessboard. Be sure to also check out the art galleries and shops found on Postoffice Street.
Galveston is one of the top locations for novice and expert birders in the United States. With more than 500 species of birds residing, wintering, or migrating through southeast Texas, the Galveston Bay Estuary is the largest and most productive on the Texas coast. A FREE birding brochure can be downloaded here that will guide you to the island’s nature hotspots.
Want more? Be sure to head over to R We There Yet Mom? for another 5 things for families to enjoy in Galveston!
But before you go, enter for your chance to win a fantastic Galveston vacation package, courtesy of the Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau! You can enter once on Free Fun in Austin and once on R We There Yet Mom.
Galveston Family Vacation Prize Package:
- Complimentary Two Night Stay in a One Bedroom Ocean View Suite at Casa Del Mar
- Admission for 4 to Lone Star Flight Museum
- Admission for 4 to Moody Mansion
- Admission for 4 to Bishops Palace
- Admission for 4 to Moody Gardens (Rainforest Pyramid only)
- Admission for 4 to Ocean Star Offshore Drilling Rig Museum
- Admission for 4 to Rosenberg Library Museum
- Admission for 4 to Seawolf Park: USS Stewart and USS Cavalla
- Admission for 4 to The Grand 1894 Opera House (self-guided tour only)
- Admission for 4 to Texas Seaport Museum & 1877 Tall Ship ELISSA
- Admission for 4 to Great Storm Theater
- Admission for 4 to Harbor Tours
- Admission for 4 to Galveston Duck Tours
- Admission for 4 to Treasure Isle Tour Train
To enter, simply fill out the form below. One winner will be chosen at random on Friday, March 6, 2015 and notified by email.
If you cannot see the entry form, please visit the original post to enter.
This giveaway was sponsored by the Galveston Island Convention & Visitors Bureau.