The City of Austin has offered Christmas tree recycling drop-off events for 30 years. We are continuing this tradition in 2015. This year the location has changed due to an event at Zilker Park, but the new location is right down the road from Zilker on Rollingwood Drive.
All residents, including those without City of Austin curbside service, or who may have missed their curbside pickup day, or who just want to recycle their Christmas trees into healthy mulch can drop off their trees at:
Free Fun In Austin continues to highlight Austin area locations and activities that may not be available at this time. We encourage you to take all safety measures to keep yourself and your neighbors safe. It is our hope that the stories and features on this site will help inform your plans in the future.
2304 Rollingwood Dr. (map)
Between 10 a.m. & 2 p.m. on the following days:
- Saturday, Jan. 3, 2015
- Sunday, Jan. 4, 201
- Saturday, Jan. 10, 2015
- Sunday, Jan. 11, 2015
If you’re interested in volunteering to help unload and drag trees for the upcoming Austin Christmas Tree Recycling event, please contact Joe Washington at (512) 971-5708. Volunteers will receive event t-shirts, a mug and there will be refreshments available (until supplies run out). You may sign up for any of the days above and for any length of time (one hour, two, three or all four hours). All help is appreciated.
All trees collected will be turned into mulch which will then be available to all Austin residents for free pickup beginning January 21st. Mulch is great for retaining moisture, reducing weed growth and keeping your soil healthy and fertile.
- Cedar Park – If you would prefer for your tree not to go to the landfill, you may take it to the Cedar Park Recreation Center for recycling on Saturday, January 3, from 9 a.m. to noon. The Recreation Center is located at 1435 Main Street in the Town Center subdivision. Free tree saplings will be offered to participants, while supplies last. Tree mulch generated from these trees will be used for landscaping at City parks and facilities. Please remove all decorations and ornaments. You may arrange for Boy Scout Troop 233 to pick up your tree and bring it to the recycling center for you. Visit www.troop233leander.org for details and to schedule your pickup.
- Elgin – Recycling is available 24 hours a day through January 7, 2015. See flyer for details.
- Georgetown – From December 26 through January 31, Christmas trees will be accepted at the City of Georgetown Collection Station at no charge. Normal fees will apply to other items brought to the Collection Station. Mulch is available, year-round, free-of-charge to City residents at the Collection Station at 250 W.L. Walden Drive. Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. The Collection Station will be closed on January 1. For details, contact Texas Disposal Systems at (512) 930-1715.
- Kyle – Drop off your tree at one of three sites, through the last Friday of January. The trees will be chipped and used in parks.
- Leander – Leander Parks and Recreation will be offering free live Christmas tree recycling. Christmas trees must be cleared of all ornaments, lights, and tree stands. Live Christmas trees can be dropped off at Robin Bledsoe Park located at 601 S. Bagdad between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. This Program will run from December 26 to January 13. The Parks and Recreation Department uses the recycled trees as mulch in the City Parks for trails and landscape beds. For more information or questions, contact the Leander Parks and Recreation Department at 512-528-9909.
- Pflugerville – Tree recycling is available from December 26, 2014 through January 11, 2015. Drop off your tree at the Wells Point Park soccer field at Heatherwilde Boulevard and Olympic Drive. (Map) Please remember to remove all decorations and the tree stand. Trees can be unloaded on the south end of the parking lot. Only trees taken to Wells Point Park will be recycled. Christmas tree mulch will be available once the trees are recycled. Mulch is free, year-round at the City’s Recycling Center.
- Round Rock – Round Rock residents may bring their Christmas Trees to the Round Rock Brush Recycling Center for recycling during any regular operating day from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday – Saturday. There is a reward for recycling your tree — free mulch! (Residents must live inside Round Rock City limits and must prove residency by showing a current City of Round Rock water bill and valid drivers license to qualify for free mulch. Service provided inside City limits to City taxpayers only).
Shelley Parks has been in the PR field for more than 16 years and has experience in the non-profit, corporate and government relations arenas. She currently works for the City of Austin’s Parks & Recreation Department where her goal is to get Austinites passionate about the beautiful Parks, Cultural Centers and Recreation Centers that are found throughout our great city. Recently married and now a mother to three incredible teenagers, Shelley finds relaxation through her passion in helping others, reading, writing, shopping and spending quality time with friends and family.