Don’t miss the Austin premiere of THE ILLUSIONISTS – LIVE FROM BROADWAY at the Bass Concert Hall November 1-6, 2016! On the heels of a highly successful multi-city tour and run on Broadway, the world’s best-selling touring magic show, THE ILLUSIONISTS – LIVE FROM BROADWAY is coming to Austin with Lexus Broadway in Austin presented by Texas Performing Arts as part of its current North American tour of more than 50 cities.
Full of hilarious magic tricks, death-defying stunts and acts of breathtaking wonder, THE ILLUSIONISTS has shattered box office records worldwide and thrilled audiences of all ages with a mind-blowing spectacular showcasing the jaw-dropping talents of seven of the most incredible illusionists on earth.
Creative Producer Simon Painter said, “We can’t wait to bring this electrifying show to Austin for a truly entertaining experience for the whole family. THE ILLUSIONISTS is the most non-stop and powerful mix of outrageous and astonishing acts ever to be seen on the live stage.”
The seven stars, each a master in their own field, are:
- The Manipulator, Yu Ho-Jin. Considered a rising superstar in the world of magic; Yu Ho-Jin was recently named the 2014 “Magician of the Year,” by Academy of Magical Arts and was the first Asian to win the Grand Prix at the Fédération Internationale des Sociétés Magiques, also known as the “Olympics of Magic.”
- The Anti-Conjuror, Dan Sperry. Described as Marilyn Manson meets David Copperfield, Dan combines the art of magic with the macabre and is one of the top-10 most Googled people, thanks to a legendary “America’s Got Talent” appearance.
- The Trickster, Jeff Hobson is the epitome of glamour and showmanship. Don’t be fooled by his innocent appearance; Jeff has audiences laughing long after the curtain goes down.
- The Escapologist, Andrew Basso. Italy’s star escape artist, Andrew considers Houdini his hero and is fast becoming one of the world’s most popular illusionists. He is the only person in the world to perform Houdini’s famous Water Torture Cell with absolutely no covers.
- The Inventor, Kevin James, known for innovative illusions, is an inventor, comedian and collector of the strange and unusual. Kevin is one of the most prolific inventors of magic in the world and has created some of the most celebrated illusions of the last century.
- The Weapon Master, Ben Blaque, has established himself as America’s foremost master of the crossbow after appearing four times on America’s Got Talent. He performs incredibly dangerous acts of dexterity using highly powerful crossbows to shoot various objects supported by his assistant.
- The Deductionist, Colin Cloud, one of the greatest thought readers of all time is a psychic savant known as a real-life Sherlock Holmes. Don’t play against him in a game of poker – he’s never lost.
For more information, please visit The Illusionists’ website.
Interview with The Trickster, Jeff Hobson
We were delighted to have the opportunity to interview The Trickster, Jeff Hobson. Learn more about this delightful entertainer, who “delivers a refreshing and clever mix of comedy and magic,” then make plans to see him in THE ILLUSIONISTS LIVE FROM BROADWAY, November 1-6!
What initially sparked your interest in performing? How did you hone your craft?
At age 7, I saw a magician at my school and I was hooked immediately. I then delved into every magic book I could find and taught myself.
What drove you to want to do the “impossible?”
I remember the feeling I had of absolute wonder when I saw my first magic show and I want to create that same emotion in my audiences every night.
Was there a moment when you were discovered and thrust onto the national or international scene?
An appearance on my first, live, nationwide television show was quite stressful but did well for me. Entertainers still get most famous or “discovered” from TV appearances. Unfortunately, with the internet, it’s difficult for anyone to be famous for long unless you’re constantly in the spotlight.
How did The Illusionists come together?
A simple phone call from the producer who sought to find the best magicians in the world. I was very blessed to be on his list. At first I was skeptical when he told me that we would open at the Sydney Opera House. Well it happened and that was five years ago and we are still going strong.
How many countries have you visited with The Illusionists tour? Where is the most interesting place you have performed?
Besides Australia and New Zealand, we toured Europe with countries like Germany, England, Scotland, Hungary, Italy, Czech Republic, Slovakia and more. The most interesting place was Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic. In my opinion, it’s the most beautiful city on earth.
What do you hope the audience will take away from your show?
I would hope that our audiences experience many emotions that are not normally associated with a magic show to give them an unexpectedly wonderful roller coaster of drama, suspense, humor, amazement and wonder. Even though this is not advertised as “kids” show, children are welcomed and encouraged to attend. It’s a show for everyone since every person needs to experience wonder.
About The Illusionists – Live from Broadway
- World’s best selling touring magic show
- World’s best selling Broadway magic show history
- Each Illusionist has their own personal act/show that they do on their own
- They’ve come together to create a first of its kind magic show that has totally different and unique elements based on their style of performing
- Audiences will witness acts of grand illusion, levitation, mind-reading, disappearance and for the first time ever in history, a full view water torture escape
- Tickets are on sale now
Tickets start at $20 and are available at BroadwayinAustin.com, the Bass Concert Hall box office, all Texas Box Office Outlets, by phone at (512) 477-6060. For groups of 10 or more, call (877) 275-3804 or email Austin.email@example.com.
Ticket buyers are reminded that the Bass Concert Hall ticket office and all Texas Box Office Outlets are the only official retail ticket outlets for all performances at Bass Concert Hall. Ticket buyers who purchase tickets from a ticket broker or any third party should be aware that Bass Concert Hall is unable to reprint or replace lost or stolen tickets and is unable to contact patrons with information regarding time changes or other pertinent updates regarding the performance.
Enter for a chance to win a pair of tickets to THE ILLUSIONISTS LIVE FROM BROADWAY for Opening Night, Tuesday, November 1, 2016 at Bass Concert Hall on The University of Texas campus. The winner will be notified by email on Thursday, October 27 with ticket pick-up instructions.