- Austin Creative Reuse Grand Opening Celebration – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Celebrate the Grand Opening of the Creative Reuse Center. The celebration will include paper crafting, reuse games, and refreshments. Activities appropriate for all ages. FREE! Austin Creative Reuse in Lincoln Village, 6406 N IH 35, Ste #1801, Austin.
- Snapology Austin Summer Camp Open House – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. There will be plenty of LEGO bricks for creative building, hands-on robotics demonstrations, giveaways, a performance from Staci Gray at noon, and an opportunity to donate diapers (even open packages!) to Austin Diaper Bank. Snapology’s staff will be there to answer any questions and help you register your kids. FREE! Shepherd of the Hills Lutheran Church, 3525 Bee Cave Rd, Austin.
- Family Program: MyopiaFest – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Join the Contemporary Austin for a celebration of Mark Mothersbaught’s colorful career as they open Myopia. Hear and see the artist’s musical and artistic creations. Play games and watch vintage children’s programming. (Note: The family art-making workshop is already full, but those without a reserved spot are still invited to visit for fun, games, and art!) FREE! The Jones Center, 700 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Love is in the Air Storytime – Saturday at 11:30 a.m. Valentine’s Day is a day filled with love, candy hearts, roses, and twitterpation. This storytime will be a celebration of all things heart shaped and loving. There will be a reading of Guess How Much I Love You, followed by Valentine-making for your loved ones. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Black History Month Kids Day – Saturday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. Featuring crafts, stories, and activities meant to introduce kids and families to the importance of Black History Month. The event will feature African drumming, photograms, music, crafts, and more inspired by Black History Month, as well as a demo of Dance Discovery’s pre-school dance class at 12:30 p.m., and Chocolate Me! storytime at 1:30 p.m. Light refreshments will be served. FREE! George Washington Carver Museum, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
- Darwin Day – Saturday from Noon to 5:00 p.m. The Center for Inquiry-Austin presents this celebration of the 207th anniversary of Darwin’s birth. There will be something for everyone—fun learning activities for children and teens, fascinating lectures and trivia contest for adults, and professional development credit for teachers. FREE! University of Texas Commons Learning Center at the JJ Pickle Research Campus, 10100 Burnet Rd, Austin.
- Nancy Mims: The Passed Looms Present – Saturday and Sunday from Noon to 5:00 p.m. Austin artist Nancy Mims will transform the Ney’s landscape north of Waller Creek in this one-of-a-kind site-specific participatory installation. On three tree-bound looms, very large prints will come together with the help of string, cloth, ink, found objects, and rope. Visitors’ hands will be recruited for the weaving of these remarkable works. Enormous photographs will hang in the breeze as well. There will be an artist’s talk at 2:00 p.m. both days, and a reception on Saturday from 4-6:00 p.m. FREE! Elisabet Ney Museum, 304 E 44th St, Austin.
- White Rabbit Release Party – Saturday from 1-10:00 p.m. Forget about Punxsutawney Phil, the more reliable sign of the return of spring in Texas is White Rabbit White Ale. Celebrate its return and ring in the spring at this family-friendly party. Highlights include: Tiny Tails to You Petting Zoo from 1-3:00 p.m. ($2 per session); live music by Teddy Long Band; and brewery tours at 2&4 p.m. Admission is FREE! Independence Brewing Co, 3913 Todd Ln, Austin.
- Umlauf Family Day – Sunday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. Family Days offer special, hands-on programs designed for families with children, ages four to ten years old. Families have the opportunity to explore the UMLAUF while engaging in creative activities. Listen to stories, do yoga in the garden, watch sculpture demos, enjoy live music, and more. FREE! Umlauf Sculpture Garden, 605 Robert E. Lee Rd, Austin.
- Family Yoga Event (RSVP) – Sunday from 1-4:00 p.m. Join Austin Yoga Tree on Valentine’s Day for a Family Yoga Event. There will be a raffle, local vendors, yoga classes, V-day activities for the whole family, snacks, and more. This event benefits yoga programs for children, families, and educators across the Austin area. Help share the love this Valentine’s Day. FREE! Love donations accepted but not required. RSVP is requested but not required here. Austin Yoga Tree, 10401 Anderson Mill Rd #105b, Austin.
Bonus Nearly Free Fun:
- PBS Kids at the Alamo: READY JET GO! – Saturday and Sunday at 10:00 a.m. The Alamo Drafthouse and our local PBS station are teaming up for a family screening of PBS KIDS’ latest show, along with themed activities and giveaways. Enjoy three episodes from the new show on the big screen. This is an all-ages show with Baby Day rules – noisy young fans won’t be asked to leave the theater. Tickets are available for a $1 – $3 donation. Saturday: Alamo Slaughter, 5701 W Slaughter Ln, Austin. Sunday: Alamo Lakeline, 14028 N US Highway 183, Bldg F, Austin.
Bonus Fun in the ‘burbs:
- Hands On History (Georgetown) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Celebrate Valentine’s Day by learning about past Valentine traditions. Children will make their own vintage valentine at the Museum. FREE! Williamson Museum, 716 S Austin Ave, Georgetown.
- Science Mill’s First Birthday Party (Johnson City) – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Throughout the day, smoke ring air cannons, an interactive Lissagraph, and Fruity Tunes, the Science Mill’s own large-scale interactive fruit piano will entertain the partygoers. One of the Science Mill’s silos will be converted into a slow motion photo booth, promising silliness and fun for all ages with video and crazy props. Exploding bottles, flying balls, an electric pickle, and other science demonstrations will be in the Science Mill’s backyard from 1-2:00 p.m., courtesy of The University of Texas Physics Circus. FREE admission all day. Hill Country Science Mill, 101 S Ladybird Ln, Johnson City.
- Teddy Bear Clinic (Round Rock) – Saturday at 10:30 a.m. Children of all ages are invited to bring a stuffed animal and be ready to help a healthcare professional from Baylor Scott and White perform a well-check. The Library will have extra stuffed animals available for children who do not bring a toy of their own. FREE! Round Rock Public Library, 216 E Main St, Round Rock.
- My Pfurry Valentine (Pflugerville) – Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Enjoy Valentine’s Day with some of the adorable pfurry friends at the Pflugerville Animal Shelter. There will be face painting, crafts tables, a fun photo booth, and games. Have fun while meeting some sweet and lovable dogs and cats. FREE! Pflugerville Animal Shelter,1600 Waterbrook Dr, Pflugerville.
You May Also Be Interested In: